Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Brainstorming and Envisioning

I've been thinking back as to why I started this blog back in November (although it was actually not even written on until November). I can remember at the time that I finally turned to the internet to help me scratch my itch for wild and scandalous women. I initially started reading many feminist blogs online, which are fabulous, but I still felt that they covered women's issues and not necessarily exactly what I was looking for.

I turned to Scandalous Woman, which is mainly a website devoted to "scandalous women" of history. I am not criticizing the site, because I think it is great, but once again I felt that there was something missing that I have been searching for my whole life. Something that I haven't quite yet put my finger on. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that many of the women covered are European women, white women, or many of the common women of color that are always discussed. There is nothing wrong with the women covered on the blog, because as I said I am a blog reader and enjoy it, but it doesn't fill a need that I have been searching for.

Later I found some sex-positive feminist blogs, as well as adult-oriented blogs that discussed issues of dominant females and similar themes. I became a reader and blog contributor on the sex-positive site "Scandalous Women". Later I fell in love with the edginess of Bitch Magazine's blogs and many other blogs. But I am still out there searching for something that I can't quite put my finger on yet. I'd have to say that of all the blogs, Bitch Magazine is my favorite.

So here you are, listening to me ramble on, trying to articulate exactly what it is that I want to find in the online community, or perhaps create something new from the ground up that I haven't been able to find.

I want to create a space where a variety of different types of women are brought together, a space where we can learn together about one another. I want a space where we discuss the well-known white women that are so frequently discussed, but I also want inclusion of women of color, lesbian/bisexual/transgendered women, politically radical women, sex workers, dominant women, self-proclaimed whores, women with bad reputations, femme fatales, misunderstood women and anyone else who I might not be including. I want a space where readers feel comfortable interacting with one another in order to share their opinions and perspectives with one another. I want a space where I also learn from your stories and about the amazing women that you admire.

To those of you who have been reading and contributing your ideas, thanks for joining me on my journey!

No comments:

Just Who is this Mary Kay Lady?

I've always considered myself to not be one of those "hair and nails" girls who are constantly obsessed with makeup and lookin...