Wednesday, July 22, 2009

We've Come a Long Way Baby!

It has always irked me when people act like there is something wrong with women who are independent and are comfortable with doing something on their own. I've lived by myself since I was 21 years old and I love to be alone, so I want to slap anyone who acts shocked when I state that I enjoy living by myself. I like to travel by myself. I do what I want when I want to do it and I don't wait for other people to join me. If no one is available or doesn't want to do something, I'll take my own happy ass off to do whatever I want because I want to.

As I grow older it becomes more and more irritating. I'm less and less likely to control my inner monologue and I start saying some crazy, obnoxious stuff. Over the years people have felt that they have the right to try to judge my relationship with my boyfriend, insinuating that there is something wrong with us if we don't enjoy traveling together. Or they just act as if there is something wrong with me because I choose to do what I want to do when I want to do it, and I am not so insecure that I wait until someone else wants to come along for the ride.

The other day, for example, I mentioned to a group of co-workers that I was planning on going on vacation to possibly Greece and Turkey. Everyone immediately asked who I would be going with. "No one!" I insisted. Everyone immediately got bent out of shape, whining and convincing me that I should take my boyfriend and suggested a number of other people for me to take if he would not be able to go. People were shocked and acted as if they actually felt sorry for me when I told them that I do not like to travel much with my boyfriend, or for anyone for that matter.

In addition to traveling, I enjoy eating alone at times, going to the movies and all sorts of other activities that I feel like doing at any given moment. Yesterday I just wanted to be alone and decided to head over for a quick dinner at a favorite thai restaurant on my way home from my mother's restaurant.

While I was sitting there and looking over the menu, a lady walked up to the front counter and stared at me as she was ordering take-out. She finally said, "I can't find it in me to eat out alone. That's why I am getting some take out". She continued to stare at me and stare at me and stare at me until I almost wanted to stick my tongue out at her. Even the lady and the man, as well as two ladies across the room kept staring at me.

Get a grip. So I decided that I would take some pictures of my solo evening out, since it is so fucking amazing to everyone. So, here's a picture of my non-dinner-date:



And I actually even paid for the check on my own, if you can believe it!



I even drove myself home! Yes, yes I really did!



We've come a long way, baby, since women got the right to vote! Stay tuned for my next pictures that I'll upload as soon as I learn how to wipe my ass without having someone else hold my hand!

2 comments:

sortmeout said...

I don't really know how I feel about this post. On the one hand, I am jealous of that total enjoyment of alone time, but on the other hand I feel that not wanting to be alone--while inconvenient--has less to do with feminist issues and more to do with self-esteem issues. Men and women alike experience the fear of aloneness. I rally behind you for your ability to really enjoy time with yourself. Sometimes I enjoy the same thing, but I am usually forced into such a situation. However, one could argue that, even though both sexes experience low self-esteem and insecurity, society pushes a message at women that tells us we need companionship at all times, whereas men are encouraged to be self-reliant.

Definitely food for thought. I'll enjoy reading your blog.

Admin said...

Exactly. That's my main issue with the whole thing-people act as if women are pariahs if they enjoy being alone. I definitely don't think that you have to be a feminist to enjoy being alone, but I just get sick and tired of people acting as if it is unnatural for women to enjoy it.

Just Who is this Mary Kay Lady?

I've always considered myself to not be one of those "hair and nails" girls who are constantly obsessed with makeup and lookin...