Tuesday, April 21, 2009

What's on Your Book Shelf?


A number of months ago, I bought the book Women Without Men: A  Novel of Modern Iran, written by Shahrnush Parsipur. It's been sitting around on my book shelf for months and today I decided that I would pick it up and read it. I just finished the first chapter and it's pretty good, but then again I am really a sucker for Iranian history, literature and film

I was just looking at the back cover and I noticed that the author, Shahrnush Parsipur, was imprisoned twice in Iran and spent over four years in prison. The book was banned in the 1990s in Iran for Parsipur's frank discussions of virginity and women's sexuality. She's currently living in exile in the United States. Now that's a bad ass women if I've ever heard of one. Imagine that-being such a daring little bad ass that it got her thrown into the Islamic Republic of Iran's political prison.  I suppose I am making assumptions that she's one tough lady; I'll hold off on making any more such statements until I learn more about her. 

As we speak I've got my little bad-ass-woman-loving "research assistant" investigating more about her. Let's see what interesting information he can dig up! Stay tuned for more information (provided she has a good story to tell). 

I'll let you know what you think of the book as soon as I am finished with it! In the meantime, you can read more about it or buy it here.

What are you reading??

No comments:

Just Who is this Mary Kay Lady?

I've always considered myself to not be one of those "hair and nails" girls who are constantly obsessed with makeup and lookin...