Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Zora Neale Hurston: Bad Ass Lil Adventuress

I just started reading a biography about Zora Neale Hurston called "Wrapped in Rainbows: The Life of Zora Neale Hurston". For those of you who are unfamiliar with Hurston, she was a novelist, folklorist and anthropologist who is well-known for having written the novel "Their Eyes Were Watching God".

On the first page of the biography, the author, Valerie Boyd, tells a story of Zora Neale Hurston when she was about nine years old. Boyd tells about the time when Hurston tried to convince one of her female classmates to go on an adventure with her to discover the end of the world by walking out to the horizon.

The two school girls decided that they would meet by the palmettos near Zora's house before they embarked on their journey. Before setting off, Zora's friend arrived and told her that she would not be able to go with her because she didn't want to get into trouble. The two friends fought, and Zora was heartbroken that she didn't have a companion to accompany her.

Later in life Zora stated, "I did not give up the idea of my journey. I was merely lonesome for someone brave enough to undertake it with me".

Story of my life!! You have no idea how frustrated I can get sometimes when I walk around in a world of chicken-shits who are too afraid to break any boundaries or go outside of their comfort zone! I'll set out on the road alone if I have to, but sometimes it is so much more delightfully fun when you have a partner in crime conquering the world with you.

No comments:

Just Who is this Mary Kay Lady?

I've always considered myself to not be one of those "hair and nails" girls who are constantly obsessed with makeup and lookin...